You only get one chance to make a first impression! When it comes to letting your home, attention to detail could be pivotal in securing the best possible rent –quickly.
Most tenants have a good idea of their preferred location, minimum accommodation needs and ideal style of property. Yet it is often presentation that makes the greatest difference. A well-presented property not only looks more attractive but also suggests that the landlord cares for it. This in itself can attract a more careful tenant.
So here are a few tips that we hope landlords might find useful:
1. A new coat of paint on the front door gives a great first impression.
2. Have the carpets professionally cleaned.
3. Check that the grouting/sealant in the bathroom is not discoloured.
4. A bottle of wine in the fridge suggests that you will be a welcoming landlord!
5. Make sure all the lights work and the house is well-lit – even during the day.
6. Keep the windows sparkling clean, inside and out.
7. Ensure the garden is tidy, lawn mown, leaves cleared away, beds attractive. Screen off any unsightly areas.
8. Check and repair any dripping taps, leaking gutters, squeaking hinges, etc..
And if you are currently living in the property you will be renting out:
9. A tidy property suggests that storage space is not a problem, so make a point of clearing away any unnecessary clothes, toys, magazines, crockery, etc. You never know when you might have a viewing.
9. Go through your house and donate anything you no longer need to charity.
10. Avoid hanging too much on the back of doors. Overcrowded hooks prevent doors from opening fully, making rooms look smaller.
Why not contact one of our lettings experts who will be happy to provide specific advice about preparing your property to let without obligation.